Please not that working below a lift is a potentially dangerous condition if you do not take precautions to avoid accidents. Badly maintained lifts with faulty controls can malfunction and action is so quick that the person can consider himself/herself lucky with injuries no matter how serious.
While working under a raised car make sure that,
- You know where the controls are located and know the controls properly. Untrained persons can be dangerous in times of emergency. Such persons aggravate the situations instead of bringing it under control.
- Make sure that unauthorized persons and customers are not allowed in the area.
- The feeder that feeds electrical power to the hydraulic pump should be in off position and the switch locked to prevent the power being fed to hydraulic pump.
- If it is possible lock the lift in that position with mechanical lock.
1. Ensure that the lift does not go beyond the maximum position where it might be unsafe for the lift and mechanic.
2. Ensure that lifts are used only for jobs for which it was made. Using it for any other work can be deadly.
3. See that the controls get the manufacturer’s checks regularly. Get these checks done by the manufacturer or a mechanic trained at manufacturer’s training institute.
4. Get the hydraulic lifts checked regularly and check for leakages from the seals or hydraulic hoses. If you detect any leakage any time, keep clear of the raised lift. Bring it down as early as possible consistent with other condition. Attend to the lift and test the system and then only use the lift once again.
5. Keep a watch on hydraulic pressure when lifting the load. If you notice that the pressure is higher than the normal, do not use the lift till it is certified safe by the maintenance personnel.
6. Check the fluid level regularly and top up with recommended oils.
7. Remove any dirt around pistons and cylinders.
8. Check the structure of the platform and see if any defects are noticed during inspection
9. See that the weight being lifted is within the capacity of lift.
10. The dimensions of car being lifted do not go beyond the frame of lift structure.